Auke Visser´s German Esso Tanker's site | home
Elise Marie - (1894-1914)
Steam Tank Ship "ELISE MARIE".
RHQW - 3568 BRT / 5100 DTW - 97,68 x 12,74 x 9.00 M - 1 Triple Expansion Steam Engine - 1600 IHP,
build by Walssend Slipway & Engineering Co., Ltd., Wallsend. On June 1889 launch.
On July 1889 build by Sir W.G. Armstrong, Mitchell & Co., Low Walker ( No. 550 ) as "Elise Marie" for
AG Tank-Dampfschiffahrts Gesselschaft, Hamburg.
Registered 24.7.1889 till 2.12.1889.
On September 1894, Boiler installation renewed on the Reichsweft, Hamburg.
On 13.12.1894 sold to the Deutsch-Amerikanische Petroleum Gesellschaft, Hamburg. Not renamed.
On 4.7.1914 sold to the Greek Navy, while laid up in Rotterdam and renamed "Prometheus".
On 22.4.1941 in Piraeus sunk after been bombed by German planes.
In 1941 salvaged by the Deutsche Kriegsmarine, Gruppe Sud and taken over.
14.7.1942 in Triest for repairs.
1943 to the Mittelmeer Reederei GmbH, Hamburg.
19.3.1944 in service as "Proemetheus".
7.1.1945 bombed in Triest and sunk sideways.
There was a suggestion of sabotage, later they found out that probably the cement repairs,
below the waterline, had come loose, by corrosion.
January 1945, has been refloated, repaired, and has been renamed "Carla G", under Italian flag."
2.3.1950 reported as broken up.
A not so very sharp and small photo of the "Elise Marie".
The Miramar Ship Index for "ELISE MARIE"
1914 PROMETHEUS - 1948 CARLA G.
Sunk by German air attack at Piraeus 22.04.1941 & capsized at Trieste 07.01.1945 - Scrapped in 1950.
Additional Info by Starke & Schell Registers :
ELISE MARIE - 1894 GE 1T (aft) (10)
3,193 GRT for Tank Dampfschiffahrt Ges., Hamburg, 318.6 x 42.0
Tanker build by Armstrong, Mitchell & Co., Newcastle, (7), #550
1894 - Deutsch-Amerik. Petroleum Ges., Hamburg
1914 - PROMETHEUS, Greek Navy, GR
Sunk by German air attack 22 April 1941 at Piraeus, refloated later that year by German salvors,
towed to Trieste 1942 for rebuilding
- Mittelmeer Reed. G.m.b.H., GE
Capsized and sank 7 Jan 1945 at Trieste, wreck reported sold 1948 to Soc. Gestione Esercizio Navi, Genoa and
renamed CARLA G., repair apparently given up as uneconomical late in 1949, refloated and broken up 1950.