Auke Visser's MOBIL Tankers & Tugs Site     |   home
Mobil Tankers
Eagle - (1917-1918 & 1919-1946)
Built in 1917 as a cargo vessel, she was converted to an oil tanker in 1928.

Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships:
Peerless (No. 1639), built as Eagle in 1917 by Union Iron Works, San Francisco, Calif., was acquired by the Navy from the
Standard Transportation Co. at Newport News, Va. 8 December 1918; and commissioned the same day, Lt. Comdr.
J.S. LeCain, USNRF, in command.
Peerless loaded a general cargo, departed Norfolk 9 December, arrived at La Pallice on the 24th, and returned to New York
with a general cargo, arriving 12 February, 1919.
On 19 February, 1919 Peerless was detached from the NOTS and reassigned to the Cruiser and Transport Force. She served
on the transatlantic run through the summer, decommissioned 22 September 1919, and was returned to her owner the same day.

Built in 1917 as Eagle by the Union Iron Works, San Francisco, CA;
Acquired by the Navy and commissioned USS Peerless (SP 1639), 8 December 1918;
Decommissioned, 22 September 1919 and returned to her owner;
Renamed Eagle, (date unknown). Fate unknown.

Displacement 10,000 t.;
Length 426';
Beam 56';
Draft 27';
Speed 10.5 kts.;
Complement 83;
Armament one 4" and one 3".

Additional information Starke & Schell registers :

EAGLE-1917  USA  1T     (11)
6,274 GRT for Standard Transportation Co., Inc., New York   410.0 x 56.0
Cargo build by Union Iron Works Co., San Francisco   (4)     #136     214921
12/1918 - PEERLESS   U. S. Navy requisition  -  Naval Overseas Transportation Service  #1639
2/1919 - EAGLE   returned to owners
1928 - converted to tanker
1931 - Standard-Vacuum Transportation Co., Inc., New York
1935 - Socony-Vacuum Oil Co., Inc., New York
06/25/1943 Torpedoed but repaired
1946 - U. S. Maritime Commission, New York (American Export Lines, ops.),   - laid up at Naples May 1946
Sold 1948 to Ricuperi Finsider S.p.A., broken up at Savona 1949, work began 1.3.1949.

Additional information from :

Name: Eagle
Type: Steam tanker
Tonnage: 6.003 tons
Completed: 1917 - Union Iron Works, San Francisco CA
Owner: Socony-Vacuum Oil Co Inc, New York
Homeport: New York
Date of attack: 25 Jun, 1943
Nationality: American
Fate: Damaged by U-513 (Friedrich Guggenberger)
Position: 23.07S, 41.53W - Grid GB 15
- See location on a map -
Complement: 53 (0 dead and 53 survivors).
Convoy: -
Route: Rio de Janeiro (24 Jun) - Bahia, Brazil
Cargo: 2000 tons of water ballast
History: Built as Eagle, 1918 renamed Peerless, 1919 renamed Eagle
Notes on loss: At 03.50 hours on 25 Jun, 1943, the unescorted Eagle (Master Albert James Beck) was attacked by U-513 ap-
proximately eight miles southeast of Cape Frio, Brazil. The first torpedo fired passed under the tanker amidships. Three minutes
later a second torpedo struck the port forepeak and flooded the forward pump room and other portions of the ship. The master order-
ed the engines full speed astern and to steer hard right rudder, this maneuver caused a third torpedo to pass astern 15 feet away.
The armed guards fired four shots from the 4in stern gun (the ship was also armed with two .30cal guns) to keep the U-boat submerged.
There were no casualties among the crew of eight officers, 33 men and twelve armed guards. The Eagle zigzagged back to Rio de
Janeiro, where she recieved temporary repairs and later proceeded to Aruba for cargo and then to a US port, where permanent
repairs were made in February 1944. In April 1944 she was turned over to the Free French for use in the Mediterranean Sea.