Nederlandsche Koloniale Petroleum Mij NV. | home
Stanvac Ogan - (1948-1959)
See also : Stanvac Ogan - (1959-1963)
USS Wakulla (AOG-44), underway, date and location unknown.
US Navy photo from the collections of the US Navy Memorial.
( Photo thanks to Stan Svec )
"Stanvac Ogan" in Palembang 1956.
"Stanvac Ogan", build 1945, as "Wakulla AOG 44", by East Coast Shipyards Inc., Bayonne, N.J..
Additional information :
Mettawee Class Gasoline Tanker:
Laid down, 31 October 1944, as a Maritime Commission type (T1-M-A2) tanker hull, under a Maritime Commission contract,
at East Coast Shipyards Inc., Bayonne, NJ; Launched, 17 December 1944; Commissioned USS Wakulla (AOG-44), 3 February
1945; Decommissioned, 13 June 1946; Struck from the Naval Register, 19 July 1946; Transferred to the Maritime Commission,
(date unknown); Final Disposition, fate unknown.
Displacement 846 t.(lt) 2,270 t.(fl); Length 220' 6"; Beam 37'; Draft 17'; Speed 10kts; Complement 62; Armament, one single 3"/50
dual purpose gun mount, two 40mm guns, three single 20mm gun mounts; Cargo DWT 1,228;
Propulsion, diesel direct drive, single screw, 720hp.
The Miramar Ship Index for "WAKULLA"
1947 MEI AN - 1948 STANVAC OGAN -
[ 1961 Lg 71.7m oa, 1292 grt ] -
1963 SEA RAVEN - 1968 MOBIL SERVICE
Scrapped 1980, [ reported in 1982 ]..
Wakulla (AOG-44): dp. 2,300; l. 221'0"; b. 37'0"; dph. 15'0"; s. 15.0 k.; cpl. 58; a. 1 3", 6 20mm.; cl. Mettawee; T. T1-M-A2)
The second Wakulla (AOG-44) was laid down on 31 October 1944 under a Maritime Commission contract (MC hull 2070) at
Bayonne, N.J., by the East Coast Shipyards, Inc.; launched on 17 December 1944; sponsored by Mrs. J. I. McClain; accepted
by the Navy on 15 January 1945; converted to naval use at the builder's yard; and commissioned at the New York Navy Yard
on 3 February 1945, Lt. Clifford G. Pickering in command.
Following trials in Long Island Sound and shakedown out of Norfolk, Va., Wakulla got underway on 23 March 1945 for the
Netherlands West Indies. She loaded a full cargo of diesel oil and high-octane gasoline at Aruba and shaped course west-
ward. She passed through the Panama Canal from 5 to 7 April, arrived at San Diego on the 22d, and got underway for the
Hawaiian Islands on the 30th. Assigned to Service Squadron (ServRon) 8 soon after her 11 May arrival at Pearl Harbor,
Wakulla subsequently made one voyage to Canton Island in the Phoenix group and two to Johnston Island—each time
with full cargoes of high-octane gasoline. During one of her cruises to Johnston, she interrupted unloading operations to
put to sea and tow LST-765 into port after a damaged screw and an inoperable rudder had left the tank landing ship adrift.
Wakulla served as yard oiler at Pearl Harbor through VJ-day. After ServRon 8 was disestablished in September, the
gasoline tanker operated under the dual control of the Commandant, 14th Naval District, and Commander, Service Force,
Pacific Fleet, into late 1945. She sailed for the west coast in January 1946 and was decommissioned at San Francisco,
Calif., on 13 June 1946. Wakulla was struck from the Navy list on 19 July 1946 and transferred to the Maritime
Commission on 14 November 1946.