Auke Visser's Famous T - Tankers Pages | home
Built January 1945 by The Marinship Corporation, Sausalito, California, as "Potrero Hills" # 1844, for U.M.S.C.
1948 "Captain John D. P.", Nautilus Shipping Corp., New York.
1951 "Potrero Hills", Philadelphia Marine Corp., New York.
1955 "Ideal X", Pan-Atlantic Steamship Corp., Wilmington, Del.
1959 "Elemir", Oceanic Petroleum Carriers, Inc., Wilmington, Del.
1964 Scrapped Hirao, October.
( See photos below )
The Miramar Ship Index for "POTRERO HILLS"
1948 CAPTAIN JOHN D.P. - 1951 POTRERO HILLS -
1955 IDEAL X. - 1959 ELEMIR
Scrapped at Hirao 20.10.1964 ( weather damaged 08.02.1964) [ By Matsukura Maritime Co. ]
POTRERO HILLS - 1945 USA 1TE (aft)
10,441 GRT for U. S. War Shipping Administration, San Francisco 503.9 x 68.1
Tanker built by Marinship Corp., Sausalito, Calif. (01/1945) #68 247155
1948 - CAPTAIN JOHN D. P., Nautilus Shipping Corp., New York
1951 - POTRERO HILLS, Philadelphia Marine Corp., New York
1955 - IDEAL X, Pan-Atlantic Steamship Corp., Wilmington, Del. - fitted with platform
deck for carriage of containers
1959 - ELEMIR, Oceanic Petroleum Carriers, Inc., Wilmington, Del. [Marine Carriers Corp.,
New York] - platform deck removed
Sustained structural damage in cargo tanks in heavy weather 8 Feb 1964, voy. Sasebo - Portland,
Ore, in ballast, put back to Kobe, not worth repair, sold, Broken up at Hirao 1964,
by Matsukura Maritime Co., work began 20.10.1964.
1948: renamed CAPTAIN JOHN D.P.,
1951 renamed POTRERO HILLS.
1955, converted into a tanker/trailer ship by Bethlehem Steel Co., Baltimore. Renamed IDEAL X.
1959, renamed ELEMIR.
December 1963, electrical gear and mechanisms damaged by sand and dust during heavy sandstorm
as Ras Tanura. February 8, 1964, bulkheads, brackets and framing af No. 6 tanks collapsed due to heavy
weather (voyage: Sasebo/Portland, OR - ballast). Put into Kobe as port of refuge. Drydocked; forepeak and
pumproom damage and numerous tank fractures discovered. Sold "as is" to Japanese shipbreakers.
Scrapped Hirao, October 1964. (See BLACK RIVER - Alabama Yard No. 353).
"Ideal X", fitted with platform deck for carriage of containers.
"Ideal X", ex. "Portrero Hills", ex. "Captain John D.P.", ex. "Portrero Hills".
50 years ago, 26 April 1956, the S.S. Ideal X sailed from Port Newark to Houston. This is considered
to be the first scheduled voyage of a container ship. Ideal X was a T-2 tanker with a spar deck built above
the cargo piping to hold the 58 new containers. She was still capable of carrying bulk petroleum cargo as
well. She was owned by Pan Atlantic Steamship Lines, later renamed Sea-Land Services.
The Revell 'Glasgow' T-2 kit was modified with Tom's Modelworks 1/400 PE set. The spar deck was built
from styrene stock and the containers are basswood.
( Photos and built by Fred Koster )