Auke Visser's Famous T - Tankers Pages     |   home
Index
Bull Run
T2-SE-A1
Suamico Class Fleet Oiler
Laid down, 13 March 1943, as Maritime Commission type (T2-SE-A1) tanker hull under Maritime Commission
contract (MC hull 354) at Sun Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co., Chester, PA.
Launched, 29 June 1943
Delivered to the Keystone Co., 12 July 1943
Sold for commercial service in 1947 to Mathiasen's Tanker Industries Inc, Philadelphia.
Returned to the Maritime Commission for lay up in the National Defense Reserve Fleet (date unknown)
Reactivated by the Maritime Administration (MARAD), circa 28 November 1956
Turned over to the Military Sea Transportation Service (MSTS)
Placed in service, 22 December 1956, as USNS Bull Run (T-AO-156)
Placed out of service and Struck from the Naval Register, 23 September 1957
Returned to MARAD for lay up in the National Defense Reserve Fleet
Withdrawn from the Reserve Fleet in 1969 for conversion to a containership
1957. Aft section joined to forebody and midbody of Anchorage (C4 type) by Todd Shipyards Corp.,
Seattle, and converted to a container carrier (measurements: 497ft x 72ft, 11,476GRT, 8,712DWT).
Renamed "Anchorage". Forebody of Bull Run scrapped in 1969.
( See photo below )
Specifications:
Displacement 5,782 t.(lt) 21,880 t.(fl)
Length 523' 6"
Beam 68'
Draft 30'
Speed 15.5 kts.
Complement unknown
Armament none
Cargo Capacity 140,000 barrels
Propulsion turbo-electric, single screw. 8,000hp

View the Bull Run (T-AO-156)
DANFS history entry located at the US Naval Historical Center

Single Ship Report for "BULL RUN"
IDNo:
2243850
Year:
1943
Name:
BULL RUN
Launch Date:
29.06.1943
Type:
Tanker
Date of completion:
07.1943
Flag:
USA
Keel:

DWT:
16613
Yard No:
287
Length overall:
159.6
Ship Design:
T2-SE-A1
LPP:
153.3
Country of build:
USA
Beam:
20.7
Builder:
Sun
Material of build:
Location of yard:
Chester, Pa
Number of screws/Mchy/Speed(kn):
1TE-15

Owner as Completed:
U.S.War Sg Administration, Philadelphia

Subsequent History:
[ 1969 converted to containership, 11476 grt ] - 1969 ANCHORAGE

Disposal Data:
Scrapped at Brownsville 15.12.1980.

History :
ON
LR/IMO
ID
Year
Name
Tons
Name change
Main Owner
243850
2243850
1943
BULL RUN
10195
U.S. Govt
243850
2243850
1943
ANCHORAGE
11476
1969
Sea-Land Service

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
"Bull Run", in service for Mathiasen's Tanker Industries Inc, Philadelphia.
  Photobucket
"Anchorage", ex. "Bull Run", March1972 at Bremerhaven, Germany.
( Photo by Gerhard L. Mueller-Debus )
  Photobucket
"Anchorage", ex. "Bull Run", March1972 at Bremerhaven, Germany.
( Photo by Gerhard L. Mueller-Debus )
  Photobucket
"Anchorage", ex. "Bull Run".
( John Sins collection )
  Photobucket
"Anchorage", ex. "Bull Run".
( Photo Fotoflyte )
  Photobucket
"Anchorage", ex. "Bull Run".
( Photo Copyright Victor Young )

Additional information :

From Victory Ships and Tankers:
Greater container capacity was provided by skilled ship-surgery performed by Todd Shipyards, when the
afterbodies of the T2 tankers Bull Run, Roanoke and Petrolite were joined to the forebodies of the C4
container ships Anchorage, Baltimore and Seattle.
Matching dissimilar hulls of the T2 tankers and C4 ships proved an intricate exercise, the problems mainly
concerning the beam and depth - 71ft 6in and 43ft 6in respectively for the C4 type and 68ft and 39ft 3in
for the T2 ships. The following description of the work involved is generally applicable to all three
conversions.
The T2 was cut at about frame 47, the C4 at frame 145, with the cut staggered over a length of 90ft. In
essence, therefore, a 143ft afterbody was joined to a 328ft forebody, this producing a ship capable of
carrying 217 x 35ft containers below deck and 131 above deck, the latter being stowed three high
between box-section buttress posts.
Work on the scarph joint included construction of a new bulkhead and sloping transition between the main-
deck of the C4 and the raised poop of the T2. Extensive bracketing unified the vertical C4 framing to the
longitudinal framing of the ex-tanker. Riveted straps on the C4 hull (fitted at an earlier conversion) were
extended 30ft aft of the new bulkhead, and 70ft doubling plates were added from the main deck via the
new slope to the poopdeck. The existing bridge structure was retained, although refitted to modern
standards, and the wheelhouse level raised by the addition of part of the T2 bridge.
During hull conversion the main machinery received complete overhaul and modification, so increasing
its rating from 6,000 to 8,000 SHP and speed to 15 knots. On each ship the rudder was strengthened
and doubling plates added to the stern to allow for greater power and the increased turning movement
of the hull. (See also Sun yard numbers 390 and 416.)
( Thanks to The T2 Tanker Page )
Source: See http://www.navsource.org/archives/09/19156.htm and Victory Ships and Tankers.

Custody CARDS by PMARS is MARAD's official repository of NDRF
ships of Bull Run
 Custody CARDS
Front of Card 1
Back of Card 1 No Image
Front of Card 2
Back of Card 2

No Disposal CARDS