Auke Visser's Famous T - Tankers Pages | home
Guilford / Colina
Built January 1943 by Sun Shipbuilding & Drydock, Chester, PA.,
as "Guilford", # 338, for U.M.S.C.
Lauched as GUILFORD
1955 - Socony Mobil Oil Co., Inc. - s/o
1965 - Mobil Oil Corp., New York
Broken up at Castellon 1971 by Isaac Manuel Varela Davallilo,
( See photos below )
The Miramar Ship Index for "GUILFORD"
[ Launched as GUILFORD ]
Scrapped at Castellon 13.12.1971.
COLINA ex GUILFORD 1943
LOA 523 ' 6 ", Beam 68 ", Depth 39 ' 3 "
16,785 DWT, 141,158 bbls
General Electric turbo-electric 2300Vac 6000SHP at 90RPM Speed 14.6 knots
Launched 28 December 1942 at Sun Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Company,
Chester, Pennsylvania, as guilford. She was commissioned 14 January 1943,
and purchased and renamed by Socony-Vacuum on the same day.
COLINA was requisitioned by WSA on commissioning day. As a T2 tanker.
her war service took her to the UK and the Mediterranean until 1944. Then
she shifted operations to the Pacific, where she became a notorious stay-
away. Her absences from the US were year-long, but she had the distinction
of being part of the great naval armada that moved on Japan for the surrender.
COLINA was demobiUsed in December 1945, and returned to peacetime service.
Scrapped in 1971 at Castellon, Spain.
The second "Colina" a T2-SE-A1 war built Tanker, but launched as "Guildford, here at an unknown date
in the late 1950's / early 1960's at Wilmington, California. Owned and operated by Socony-Vacuum
Oil Company under U.S.Flag and Registry. Scrapped in 1971 at Castellon, Spain.
( Photograph Dick Markell of San Pedro, California )
"Colina", ex. "Guilford".