Auke Visser's Famous T - Tankers Pages | home
Mission Santa Barbara
Mission Buenaventura Class Fleet Oiler:
Laid down, 8 April 1944, as a Maritime Commission type (T2-SE-A2) tanker hull under a
Maritime Commission contract at Marinship Corp., Sausalito, CA.
Launched, 8 June 1944
Delivered to the Maritime Commission for charter to Pacific Tankers Inc.
Returned to the Maritime Commission, 8 May 1946, for lay up in the National Defense
Reserve Fleet, Olympia, WA.
Acquired by the Navy, 20 October 1947
Placed in service by the Naval Transportation Service (NTS) as Mission Santa Barbara (AO-131)
under charter to Union Oil Co.
Control transferred to the Military Sea Transportation Service (MSTS) 1 October 1949, redesignated
USNS Mission Santa Barbara (T-AO-131)
Placed out of service, 12 April 1954
Laid up in the Pacific Reserve Fleet, San Diego Group
Placed in service with MSTS on 8 October 1956, chartered to Joshua Henry Corp. for operations
Placed out of service, struck from the Naval Register, and transferred to the Maritime Administration
for lay up in the National Defense Reserve Fleet, Beaumont, TX., 8 November 1957
Final Disposition, sold, 26 March 1966, to Hudson Waterways Corp. for commercial service as
container ship/train ferry, renamed Seatrain Carolina, 7 April 1966,
Scrapped at Kaohsiung 28.06.1985.
( See photos below )
Displacement 5,532 t.(lt) 21,880 t.(fl)
Draft 30' (max)
Speed 16.5 kts.
Complement 52 mariners
Propulsion turbo-electric, single screw, 6000hp
View the Mission Santa Barbara (T-AO-131)
DANFS history entry located at Navsource
The Miramar Ship Index for "MISSION SANTA BARBARA"
1966 SEATRAIN CAROLINA -
[ 1967 Lg 170.7 / 164.5 x 20.8 mtr, 7991 grt / 12152 dwt & converted to RoRo rail vehicles carrier ] -
Scrapped at Kaohsiung 28.06.1985 [ by Chi Shun Hwa Steel Co., Ltd. ]
"Mission Santa Barbara".
( Photo NARA )
"Seatrain Caroline", ex. "Mission Santa Barbara".
( Photo Copyright David Boone )