Tank Storage and Carriage Co., Ltd.
When the Standard Oil Company (Ohio) was formed in 1870 the policy, at first, was to acquire refineries, and after a loose alliance with other major oil businesses in the mid-1870s, some 90% of the refineries of America were in their control at the end of the decade. Storage and marketing were the next priorities and not until 1886 was interest shown in the production of crude oil. In 1882 their combination of many firms had become the Standard Oil Trust, and at the same time the Standard Oil Company of New Jersey was established as the operating company. However the Trust, consisting of nine trustees and controlling interests in various States, and themselves subject to many differing laws, was not considered legally as a corporate body. In 1892 the Trust was found illegal by the Ohio Supreme Court and seven years later it was dissolved, its interests then being placed under the Standard Oil Com-pany (New Jersey). This new title had been introduced in 1892 when changed from Standard Oil Company of New Jersey.
Again, in 1911, it was held by the United States Supreme Court that the Sherman Anti-Trust Law of 1880 was being violated, and in the dissolution and reorganisation of 1912 over thirty subsidiary organisations became independent.
In 1902, in Britain, shares in Tank Storage and Carriage Company had been acquired by Anglo-American on liquidation of the Kerosene Company, which had formerly owned the shares. Five years later Anglo-American acquired the whole of the assets of Tank Storage and Carriage Company.
It was to the Tank Storage and Carriage Company, whose offices were at 7, Gracechurch Street, London, that Anglo-American transferred their ships, the effective date of transfer of eleven steam tankers being 21st February, 1912, and one ship, Impoco, on 17th October, 1912. All these ships were renamed in 1913.
Six sailing ships were also transferred and later, three more steam tankers. A number of ships on order by Anglo-American were delivered from their builders to Tank Storage and Carriage Company Ltd.
A year or so later the ships of the Tank Storage fleet were transferred to the Standard Transportation Company Ltd., Hong Kong, a subsidiary of the Standard Oil Company of New York (Socony). The effective date of this transfer was 18th August, 1916.
Ships transferred from Anglo-American Oil Company Ltd.
Ships intended for the Anglo-American Oil Company, but delivered direct from the builders to Tank Storage and Carriage Company Ltd.