Auke Visser´s Esso UK Tanker's site | home
Tamarac (1) - (1908-1913)
See also : Sequoya (1) - (1913-1918)
"Sequoya" ( ex Tamarac 1913 )
LOA 385 '; Beam 517 "; Depth 30 ' 3 "; 6370 DWT; 51,785 bbls
Triple expansion engine 51" stroke
Built 1908 at Napier & Miller, Glasgow, Scotland, as Tamarac. Acquired by Socony as a consequence of the 1911 dissolution
andrenamed sequoya in July 1913. Sequoya, son of a Cherokee mother and a white father, developed a way to write Cherokee,
a language which till then had been only spoken.
The tanker Sequoya was a forerunner of the later US-flag Arrow boats in that her cargo tanks were in the lower holds of a
conventional engine-and-stack-at-the-stern oil carrier, with a 'tween deck left available for case oil and general cargo. She was
converted from coal to oil burning when acquired by Socony in 1911. Sequoya was commandeered by the British Admiralty in
1916 for war duty. She was torpedoed on 24 March 1918, severely damaged, but not sunk. She was reconstructed at Portsmouth,
England, and redelivered to Socony in late 1918. She was sold in September 1925 to Villain and Tassio, Genoa, Italy.
The Miramar Ship Index for "TAMARAC"
1913 SEQUOYA - 1925 JOLE FASSIO - 1942 ALCIBIADES -
1944 ANDREW DORIA - 1946 ALCIBIADES
Scrapped at Philadelphia 12.1949.