On 31st March, 1910, the Anglo-American Oil Company registered a fleet of thirty-two non-propelled (dumb) barges with the recently formed Port of London Authority for the carrying of petroleum in the area of the River Thames.
There were four distinct types. Two types for use in the general waters of the river were of varied capacities, ranging from 50 to 229 tons and subdivided into either tank barges for the carriage of petroleum spirit in bulk or open barges to carry barrels and drums. The other two types were for specific use in particular tributaries or creeks of the river, such as Barking Creek/ River Roding; Bow Creek/River Lea; Dartford Creek/River Darent; and in the Regent's Canal Dock area. All these water-ways were described as "London canals" in port registration.
In comparison with those for general use, the canal barges were "narrow" craft of uniform size, their breadth (and depth) re-duced to permit navigation in the confined waters.
All but one of these barges survived both world wars, until they were disposed of or replaced in the early 1950s. The Lancashire, Suffolk and York were requisitioned for war service in 1941-42 and the Nottingham was lost (destroyed) on 22nd August, 1940.
For river work
Measured from 59 feet length X 15 feet breadth to 93 feet X 23 feet.
Tonnages ranged from 30 gt/50 tdw to 137 gt/229 tdw.
Measured from 80 feet length X 21 feet breadth to 89 feet X 17V2 feet.
Tonnages ranged from 54 gt/91 tdw to 97 gt/173 tdw.
For canal work
Measurements: 79 feet length X 14 feet breadth X 5 feet depth.
Tonnage: 44 gt 75 tdw.