Motor tanker ESSO BOLIVAR - DIBI
10,728 GRT / 15,256 DWT / 20,492 m3 - 153.79 x 21.34 x 11,28 mtr.
1 eight-cylinder two-stroke engine with 3600 Pse, built by the shipyard, 11.5 knots, 40 crew and 12 passengers
8/7/1937 by Fried. Krupp Germania Werft AG, Kiel (Bau-Nr. 568) delivered the ESSO BOLIVAR to Panama Transport Co., Panama (PAN), KR Waried tanker Rhederei GmbH, Hamburg.
On 14.8.1939 the German occupation was replaced so that the Waried-ended management.
The German submarine U-126 opened on 8.3.1942, at night at 2:30 the artillery fire on the from New York to Aruba ongoing ESSO BOLIVAR in position 19:38 N / A 74.38 W. A shortly before fired torpedo missed the target. The shots fired at short range, all hit their target. Part of the crew saved themselves on rafts and boats to disembark. The rest of the tanker crew makes clear the only remaining intact boat and left her burning ship.
The U 126 tried for two hours to sink the tanker and was then forced to dive when a U.S. warship fired a light signal. Eight men, among them the captain, fell victim to the attacks. The survivors went back on board and tried to extinguish the fires.
On the morning of 9/3/1942, they even managed to put the machine back on track. By late afternoon, the still-burning and 20 degrees to starboard, lying tanker sailed to the port of Guantanamo, arrived but because of its dangerous condition it remain, however, three days at anchor.
On 30 March 1942 the ESSO BOLIVAR reached with escort ships the port of Mobile, Alabama, and was repaired here, until 24/7/1942.
In April 1952 the Waried Rhederei GmbH, Hamburg, 11.7.1952 bought and registered.
Until 14.8.1952 passed by the technical operation of the NDL in Bremerhaven.
On 13.7.1956, transferred to the Esso tanker Reederei GmbH, Hamburg.
26.3.1958 in Hamburg and lay-up.
In December 1959 the Society for nuclear energy utilization investigated the installation of a nuclear-heated boiler. From that purchase, they withdraw the third quarter of 1960.
On 11.5.1960 sold to the Iron 8 Metal AG in Hamburg to be demolished.
The handover had taken place as early as 5/5/1960 and the deletion on 27.12.1960 was registered.