Auke Visser's Famous T - Tankers Pages     |   home
Index
Whitehorse
See also : LPG Moves by Tanker

T2-SE-A1
 
S.S. "Esso Cambridge".
One of the famous T2-tankers built by the Sun yard as the "Whitehorse", Hull 409 in 1944.
Shown in this photo, the vessel is laying under the "Hammerhead Crane", at No. 1 pier where
the tanks for carrying propane were put abourd. The installation of four prpane tanks
constitutes another first for the Sun Yard.
 
"Esso Sao Paulo" ex. "Whitehorse".
( Photo thanks to Beppe Allievi )
"Esso Sao Paulo" ex. "Whitehorse".
 
"Esso Sao Paulo" ex. "Whitehorse", at Bremerhaven, 06-1963.
( Photo by Gerhard Mueller-Debus )
"Esso Sao Paulo".
( Photo copyright V.H. Young )

WHITEHORSE, T2-SE-A1
History :
Built by Sun Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Co., Chester, Pennsylvania.
Yardnumber 409. UMSC No. 1730. Official nr. 245451.
Keel laid 18-12-1943. Launched 31-03-1944. Completed 15-04-1944. Gr. 10317 t., Net. 6236 t., Dw. 16613 t. L.o.a. 159,57 m., Br. 20,78 m., Dr. 9,31 m. Engine: 2 steam turbines, manufactured by Westinghouse Electric & Manufacturing Company, Pittsburgh. 7240 B.h.p., 5401 kW. Speed 15 knots. 26 Tanks.
History:
WHITEHORSE-1944 completed for United States War Shipping Administration, Philadelphia, USA.
ESSO CAMBRIDGE-1947 for Panama Transport Company, Panama.
ESSO SAO PAULO-1947 for Panama Transport Company, Panama.
SAO PAULO-1959 for Panama Transport & Navigation Company, Panama.
ESSO SAO PAULO-1962 for Panama Transport & Navigation Company, Panama.
ESSO SAO PAULO-1964 for Esso Transport & Navigation Company Panama.
Additional Reports:
Reported Esso Sao Paulo lengthened and partial converted into Liquid Petroleum Gas tanker in 1954 by Howaldtswerke AG, Hamburg.
New Dimensions 172.0 m oa, 11307 grt.
Reported Esso Sao Paulo sold to shipbreakers in Taiwan. Arrived Kaohsiung 13 May 1967 to be broken up.

The first specialized LPG vessels to trade were in fact dry cargo ships converted and refitted with cylindrical pressure tanks by the Bethlehem Steelyard in Beaumont, Texas. The first of these, completed in 1947for Warren Petroleum, was the 6,050 cubic meter Natalie O. Warren (with 68 vertically installed tanks in five holds) and the next, delivered two years later for Lorentzen, was the 3,000 cubic meter Ultragaz (with 29 vertical and two horizontal tanks). The steel tanks had to bedesigned of such thickness so as to withstand working pressures up to 17 kg. per square centimetre.
At the same time, Esso began converting T2 ships for combined LPG and petroleum products carriage.
Their initial venture in this field, the Esso Sao Paulo, included 8 vertical pressure tanks installed in the vesselís centre tanks. The Esso El Salvador and Esso Brazil followed withsimilar configurations.
The combined transport of LPG and petroleumproducts proved to be somewhat cumbersome for Esso to manage in their trade to Brazil and they sold out their business in 1954.