Auke Visser's Famous T - Tankers Pages | home
Built September 1944 by The Marinship Corporation, Sausalito, California,
as "Kettleman Hills" # 1832, for U.M.S.C.
1948 - American Overseas Tanker Corp., Wilmington, Del.
1949 - Oceanic Maritime Corp., Wilmington, Del.
1951 - SEATIGER, Colonial Steamship Corp. (Orion Shipping & Trading Co., Inc.), New York
1954 - Seatiger SS. Co., Inc., Wilmington, Del., [Orion Shipping & Trading Co.]
1956 - Jupiter SS. Corp., Wilmington, Del., [do.]
1957 - OCEAN NORA, Ocean Tankships, Inc., Monrovia, [Maritime Overseas Corp., New York], LI
1957 - CARIBBEAN STAR, Marine Star Corp., Monrovia ,[do.]
1959 - Ocean Tankships, Inc., Monrovia, [do.]
1960 - GLOBE EXPLORER, Bulk Ships, Inc. (Maritime Overseas Corp.), New York, USA
Converted to bulk carrier and lengthened by replacement of cargo section with new midbody
built by Verolme United Shipyards, Rosenburg, resulting vessel 13,795 grt, 555.2 x 75.2' ,
1963 - Sea Liberties, Inc., New York, [do.]
Caught fire in engine room 11 Sep 1964, 270 miles east of Cape Charles, Va., voyage Hampton Roads -
Rotterdam, coal, fire extinguished 13th, towed to Hampton Roads, dismantled 1965. Exchanged
machinery sections with T-2 tanker APPOMATTOX (Sun Yard #289). Vessel composed of forebody of
APPOMATTOX and machinery section of GLOBE EXPLORER named FAIRWIND Maryland SB. & DD.
Co., and sold for scrapping, Broken up at Valencia 1965, arrived 25.03.1965 in tow,
work began in 08/1965.
( See photos below )
The Miramar Ship Index for "KETTLEMAN HILLS"
1951 SEATIGER - 1957 OCEAN NORA - 1957 CARIBBEAN STAR -
[ 1960 Lg & widened 13795 grt & converted to bulk carrier ] -
1960 GLOBE EXPLORER -
[ 1965 engine section joined to forepart of APPOMATTOX for towing for scrap under the name FAIRWIND ] -
fire 270nm East Cape Charles 11.09.1964, dismantled & rejoined to broken up at Valencia 25.03.1965.
Only a photographer could strike oil in a tanker shipyard and this picture shows the SS "Kettleman Hills",
just before launching, at the Sausalito shipyard.
Launch of the "Kettleman Hills".
"Kettleman Hills" sails away from the yard.
( Photo thanks to Walt Holm )
The tanker "Kettleman Hills" on trials. Of the T2-SE-A1 type, she was the first of the 'Hills' class
and was delivered from the Marinship yard at Sausalito in September 1944.
This T-2 type tanker struck an iceberg while in service during the war. She was laid up in the James River
idle fleet until recently when she was sold to the National Tanker Corporation by the Maritime Commission.
She was delivered to our plant on February 19th 1948.
In addition to iceberg damage requiring bottom and side-plating repairs, the Kettleman Hills also received
extensive machinery repairs and a general overhauling.
She left our plant on May 4th 1948.
( From Shipyard Bulletin, Newprt News SB & DD Co., Volume XII, May-June 1948, No. 10 )