Auke Visser's Famous T - Tankers Pages     |   home
Index
Mission Solano
See also : Construction photos "Mission Solano"

T2-SE-A2
Mission Buenaventura Class Fleet Oiler:
 
 USS Mission Solano launching at Marinship Corp., Sausalito, CA., 14 January 1944.
( US Maritime Commission photo )
 "Jacksonville", ex. "Mission Solana".
( Photo Copyright Malcolm Cranfield )
 "Jacksonville", ex. "Mission Solana".
The "Jacksonville" joined the container ship need of Sea-Land Service Inc. in 1968 after extensive
conversion at Galveston. Formerly the T2-SE-A2 type tanker "Mission Solano", she had been laid
up for some years before being sold. After conversion her capacity was 332,  35 ft containers
- 226 stowed in her holds and 106 on deck.
 
"Jacksonville", ex. "Mission Solana", on the River Weser; leaving Bremen (Germany), March 1970.
( Photo by G. Mueller-Debus )
 "Jacksonville", ex. "Mission Solana" in front and "Houston", ex. "Mission Carmel" in tandem tow after tug "Hanseat",
to the breakers in Kaohsiung. February 23rd, 1984.
( Photo Copyright Mac Mackay )

MISSION SOLANA, T2-SE-A2
History :
Built by Marinship Co., Sausalito, California.
Yardnumber 34. UMSC No. 1277. Off. nr. 245186.
Keel laid 08-10-1943. Launched 14-01-1944. Completed 30-03-1944. Gr. 10448 t., Net. 6423 t., Dw. 16613 t. L.o.a. 159,57 m., Br. 20,78 m., Dr. 8,99 m. Engine: 2 steam turbines, manufactured by General Electric Company, Lynn, Massachussetts. 10000 B.h.p., 7356 kW. Speed 16 knots. 26 Tanks.
History:
MISSION SOLANO-1944 Delivered to the Maritime Commission, 30 March, for charter to Deconhill Shipping Co., for operations
MISSION SOLANO-1946 Returned to the Maritime Commission, 29 April, for lay up in the National Defense Reserve Fleet, Olympia, WA.
AO-135 MISSION SOLANO-1947 Acquired by the Navy, 20 October. Placed in service by the Naval Transportation Service (NTS) as Mission Solano (AO-135) under charter to Pacific Atlantic Steamship Co., for operations.
T-AO-135 MISSION SOLANO-1949 Control transferred to the Military Sea Transportation Service (MSTS) 1 October 1949, redesignated USNS Mission Solano (T-AO-135)
T-AO-135 MISSION SOLANO-1957 Placed out of service, struck from the Naval Register, and transferred to the Maritime Administration for lay up in the National Defense Reserve Fleet, Olympia, WA., 15 August.
JACKSONVILLE-1967 sold to Reynolds Leasing Corporation, Sea-Land Service Inc., Wilmington, Delaware, USA.
Additional Reports :
Reported Jacksonville deepened and converted into container ship in 1967.
New dimensions 11601 grt / 13596 dwt, 4 Holds. 16 hatches. Container capacity 332/35. C/Hold: 226/35, C/Deck 106/35.
Reported Jacksonville sold to Eastern Overseas, Inc., 1984, re-sold to shipbreakers in Spain. Arrived Castellon in tow Mar. 1984 to be broken up, work began 9 May 1984. [ By I. M. Varela Davalillo ]

SS Mission Solano, T-2 Tanker, hull # 34, keel laid 10/8/43, launched Jan. 14, 1944. Sponsor: Mrs. William B. Fawke, wife of Maritime commission Principal Hull Inspector; Mrs. Harry Burch, matron of honor. In USMC Reserve Fleet in October, 1960. Container Ship "Jacksonville".