Auke Visser's Famous T - Tankers Pages     |   home
"Abiqua", ex. "USNS Abiqua (T-AO-158)", ex. "Abiqua".
( Photo collection Morten Bjørndalen )

History :
Built by Alabama Dry Dock & Shipbuilding Co., Mobile, Alabama.
Yardnumber 264. UMSC No. 549. Off. nr. 244412.
Keel laid 18-06-1943. Launched 22-09-1943. Completed 31-10-1943. Gr. 10172 t., Net. 6423 t., Dw. 16613 t. L.o.a. 159,57 m., Br. 20,78 m., Dr. 11,93 m. Engine: 2 steam turbines, manufactured by General Electric Company, Lynn, Massachussetts. 7240 B.h.p., 5401 kW. Speed 15 knots. 26 Tanks.
ABIQUA-1943 for United States War Shipping Administration, Mobile, Alabama, USA.
ABIQUA-1946 for Cities Service Oil Company, New York, USA.
T-AO-158 ABIQUA-1956 Acquired by the US Navy from the Maritime Administration and placed in service by the Military Sea Transportation Service (MSTS) as USNS Abiqua (T-AO-158), 21 December, under contract to Matraliners with a civilian crew.
T-AO-158 ABIQUA-1957 Placed out of service, struck from the Naval Register and returned to the Maritime Administration, 30 September.
ABIQUA-1968 for Winco Tankers Inc., New York, USA.
ABIQUA-1972 for Mercury Steamship Company Inc , New York, USA.
ASSOS-1973 for Assos Maritime Company Ltd., Famagusta, Cyprus.
ULRICA-1974 for North Pacific Navigation Corporation, Panama.
Additional Reports:
Reported Abiqua sold 1968 to Windsor Navigation Co., New York, dismantled and machinery sections exchanged with bulk carrier WINDSOR ex- Wildura, machinery section of ABIQUA joined with bulk cargo forebody built 1963 by Soc. des Chantiers Réunis Loire Normandie, Grand Quevilly, work completed by Alabama DD. & SB. Co., Nov. 1968. Bow and tank cargo section from ABIQUA joined to machinery section from WINDSOR (built 1944 as BEAR PAW) to become storage vessel BEAR PAW, machinery section removed and scrapped 1970, forebody converted to 384 Feet tank barge TIDE MAR XIX.
New dimensions 4 Holds, 4 Hatches, 173.1 / 166.1 x 23.9 m, 14640 grt / 25820 dwt.
Reported Ulrica sold to shipbreakers in Taiwan. Arrived Kaohsiung 17 Apr. 1978. Work began 22 Apr. 1978. [ By Long Jong Industry Company Ltd. ]